I have been working a lot on my art, both at school and on my free time, so I decided it would be nice to share some of my stuff. It also helps to kind of see how I improve over time.
- When using pastels, your best friend is the eraser, no matter what anyone else says.
- Wipes (used to clean your hands) needed: 999,999,999; there’s never enough wipes.
- Using your fingers to blur colours is pretty useful and helps with the colour’s opacity, however it’s very messy and hard to control. For corners and edges use brushes. Yes, brushes.
- WHATEVER BLACK YOU’LL USE IN THE PAINTING USE IT UNTIL THE END. That bastard stains as if it actually got something out of it.
- Always have a white paper near, it’ll help you put down the pastels and mix different colours.
- Be sure to keep everything you use CLEAN, or you’re in for a world of pain.
- To wipe away the eraser’s residues DON’T USE YOUR HAND. Use a clean brush and make sure to clean it after every use.
- If you’re blowing away the pastel’s residues… it’s pretty probable you’ll hyperventilate. Take a break every now and then. It also helps you appreciate your work more.
- If you’re using another artwork as base, don’t expect it’ll come out identical. Get used to that idea and you’ll save yourself much suffering.
- THESE MOTHER F-S HAVE NO SHAME, it’ll all be going brilliantly one moment and suddenly, IT ALL GOES STRAIGHT TO HELL. Get used to it, you are their bitch.
- I HATE my red pastel colour. I have NO idea why, but it’s a LITTLE BITCH and it doesn’t paint correctly. Make sure to test all of your pastels in the white paper I mentioned before. You’ll thank me for that eventually.
- CLOSE THE MUTHERFUCKIN’ WINDOWS or they’ll mess up EVERYTHING.
- Never attempt to paint something over saturated black…. EVER.
- Pastels are a dry media, therefore, the brushes you may use must be dry cleaned. DO NOT USE WATER.
- Patience. Lots and lots and lots of patience.